User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a kit car (Replicars South Africa)

Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered3 months registered1 year registeredVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Building a kit car (Replicars South Africa)

Hi

Im just want to know if any of you have ever built a car from a kit or have bought from Replicars SA. What I wanted to know(if you have), is it worth it? Did you find it easy getting a donor or scrap car?

lol, what are the chances, but I'll never know if I dont ask I guess...

Here's the link: http://www.replicarssa.co.za

Example, this replica of the Porsche 718 is R14000:

http://www.replicarssa.co.za/porcshe718.html

VIP Member
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my brother just bought a razzo secondhand, he always waned to build one, but never got round to it, he one day saw one and bought it.

just to found out that there are only 5 complete one ever made/

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It takes A LOT of dedication. It's not hard to find a donor car, but the time and skill involved is insane. Make sure you REALLY want to do this before you buy anything.

P.S. Replicars SA are great

aka Gareth Gold Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been researching this a lot... was planning to have started a cobra by now, but life it what happens when you make plans.. so I'm saving up to start with a locost then work my way up to a cobra and finallya berkin

like Scratchy says it's just takes a lot of work, and a decent amount of free space in the gararge.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your planning on doing this, make sure you know your electrical systems, those chinese instruction manuals are useless :-D

The cobra is acctually a nice car to start with, not to heavy on the assembly side. Just make sure you have a decent lift and a good quality block & tackle

Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya, I got quite a good knowledge of cars overall, plus my friend once built a land rover from scratch, so I could always ask him..

However, Im still wondering, if I do get a donor car must I just buy the first module from them? Because then I can just use the parts from the donor car...

The kit consists of a two piece glassfibre body, two doors and a bonnet. A fabricated rectangular steel tube frame to mount the hinged rear body section to the chassis, and a steel subframe to support the nose onto the chassis.

Furthermore, we stock all the parts, other than those needed from the VW donor car, to complete the Spyder, such as seats, carpets, door hinges and latches, special petrol tank etc. A comprehensive assemnbly guide is supplied with each kit.
    Anyways, do any of you guys no what the +- total cost would for one of these beauty's?

aka Gareth Gold Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, first get yourself your donor car, and see what you can use from it and what you cannot... then you'll know what you still need to source.

Also the guys selling the kits are generally very helpfull and usually have step by step instructions on how to get it done.

Scratchy when you are in CT see if you can stop by Shamrock Auto.. they make stunning Cobra's.. realy beauties... and if you ever coem up to JHB, there's Cobra Valley (near Tarlton I think) that does a Cobra with an M3 suspension

Achievements:
    7 days registered31 days registered3 months registered1 year registered100 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wish i had the time/money to do this.

You only die once......

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@laanie, if you find a donor car in good nick, you should only require the FG body and a few other goodies, it will set you back quite a few bob as well depending on what you want to build. What do you want to build?

@fish, I'll be in CT in 2 weeks :-D

We have a stunning midnight black cobra running around with an M5 motor and suspension. Not all that fast, but the sound it makes will make you insta-cبm
    Last edited by scratchy; 12-05-2007 at 07:58 AM.

Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I thinking of building the Porsche 718(in first post). It uses VW mechanics/parts so it should be easy to source, could find at a scrap yard or classifieds. But what im worried about is that it might turn out to be more expensive than I originally thought.
    As much as I love this car, id rather use the money I (might) spend on it, on another 'proper' car.

The kits already 14k, which contains: fibreglass body, chassis, doors and bonnet etc...
    But if it going to cost another 15k to get the smaller parts, then I think its a waste of time and money... :(

Well they only taking new orders on the 15th January, so I got time to think.
    I think Im going to end up building up one of these cars, even if its next year or in 3years time...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information